Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A tale of two ER visits (and my first ambulance ride!)

Surprise - I can crawl now!
1. Porter --

I was playing with Porter in the reading room when I heard Ellie and Owen calling for me from the bath. I went to pour in some more bubbles for them and then walked back out the door to hear the terrible thump, thump, thump, cry of Porter falling down the stairs. (We hadn't put the gates up yet, because I hadn't realized how fast he could already crawl, but they are up now!) The poor little guy was so limp and tired and sad for long enough afterwards that I was really worried and asked Jordan to give him a blessing and I called the pediatrician. 

With his symptoms as they were, she suggested I take him to the emergency room, and so I did. I think that Heavenly Father just healed his little body though because by the time we got all checked in and the doctor came in to see us, Porter was just sitting up on my lap, looking around, smiling at all the nurses and about as happy as a little boy could be. So although I felt pretty silly at that point sitting in the ER with a perfectly healthy baby boy, I was just so grateful that he was okay that I didn't even mind too much.

Ellie + Magic School Bus at the ER
2. Ellie --

A few days later, I was back in the ER and found myself talking with the same doctor again (yes, I was just here a couple of days ago...)  Ellie was super sick and her croup had gotten bad enough through the evening that we decided to take her in to instacare. I got there with a super sick and exhausted Ellie and they surprised me by hurrying her in to see the doctor after her initial check-in with the nurse. 

A few minutes later, Ellie was set up for some breathing treatments and the paramedics were on their way to take us to the hospital via ambulance. (Ellie's oxygen was quite low and the doctor was worried enough about her difficulty breathing that they required the treatments/ambulance ride/monitoring at the ER). Little Ellie was as brave as can be (or just as miserable as can be) and the paramedics were so super kind and professional and accommodating. They held my bag and let me carry Ellie out to the ambulance and I just held her in my lap with her oxygen and breathing equipment while we rode the 5 minutes to the hospital. 

It was a busy night at the ER, so by the time the doctor had a chance to come in, the steroid medicine and breathing treatments had worked their magic and Ellie was sitting up in the bed watching Magic School Bus on the iPad and feeling better than she had all day. 

{A few days later we were back at instacare with both Owen and Ellie.  The sweet nurse who'd helped us on her first visit was there again. I was so touched when she told us that she'd stopped by the ER after her shift that first night to check in and make sure little Ellie was okay. How wonderful to know she was being cared about on such a hard night.} 

And today, at last, Ellie and Owen were running around the house and playing and even went on a walk around the park. And oh, I'm grateful that they're getting better!